Thursday, December 4, 2008

Street smarts

Am I supposed to be quiet when I walk around a homeless person sleeping on the street? Is there a limit to being considerate? Like, do I have to whisper to my friend while I walk on Ventura Blvd. because there's a man on the sidewalk wrapped in a blanket?

Some not-quite-fitting comparisons for this situation:

- The homeless man is a non-smoker hanging out in my cigar bar
- The homeless man is an inert virus, and my friend and I are white blood cells just having lunch in a healthy spleen.
- The homeless man is one of the living, and I am a ghost in a haunted mansion.
- The homeless man is an Irish Catholic and I'm a stand-up in a Protestant comedy club
- The homeless man is a Fresca

For the record, I chose to whisper. I believe it's a lose/lose choice, though, because while I might be nice, I'm also letting the homeless win.

No comments: